Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Kids Clothes Week - Simplicity 2689

Kids Clothes Week - Day 1
There is a blue top in the girl's wardrobe they both love. It is made of voile and so soft and floaty. I thought Simplicity 2689 was quite similar to it and Milly said she would love it in a red strawberry fabric and then Grace could have the blue one (they always seem to work things out, one gets first choice of something and then next time the other one gets first choice).
 It was a pretty straight forward pattern and didn't take long. I followed the instructions, but next time I would make it a little differently. There is bias binding around the arms, but as it is lined there is really no need, I would sew it up differently to not use it. I would also not use interfacing, it made it a little stiff when it is meant to be very loose and floaty.
Milly loves it and I really like how it doesn't need buttons or a zip and easily fits over her head. I made a size 8 which is the smallest in the pattern I bought. It goes up to size 16, so I think it will get a lot of use in the future.


6 comments:

eva said...

Sweet!!!
Gorgeous Girls!!!
xo
eva

Marina said...

Gorgeous Kate. Love the pattern and the fabrics (and the killer smiles!)

Marina x

bec said...

Woohoo, thanks for the tips! They both look great- and your girls are too big! No more gappy smiles! I'll try a sleeveless first too I think, less fabric if she doesnt like it! Do you think you could not line the bodice and just use bias binding?

A-L said...

so cute! my daughters would love those tops as well:-)

motherof5 said...

I am a-hunting out this pattern. It looks like the perfect beach town top for Hols.
Gorgeous girls are growing up!

Anonymous said...

Love both tops - great fabric selection!