Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Quilt for Jane - finished

I have decided I need to finish off quilts completely when I make them (yes I know it sounds obvious, but starting something new always seems much more fun). There are quite a few in various stages around here, including some tops which just need quilting and binding. I basted, quilted and machine bound this quilt for my sister Jane this week when my girls were have a holiday with their grandparents. It is such a big quilt so I just quilted it with straight horizontal lines. I think trying to free motion quilt this might have driven me insane and I love the look of straight lines through the shoo fly blocks.




It is quite a big quilt and 2 lengths of fabric was not enough to cover the back so I added some fabric in the middle and some across to make a big cross. I really wanted to make a big shoo fly block to cover the back, but my brain just couldn't manage it in this heat.

8 comments:

Kari @ The Purple Quiltapotamus said...

What a lovely quilt!! I'm sure your sister will cherish it!

SewSurprising said...

One very lucky sister :) As usual a lovely job.

Jane said...

Beautiful! I'm a Jane and my sister is a Kate too! Why doesn't she make me a quilt? (just kidding but your sister is lucky)

Nicky said...

Lovely Dear Jane quilt! hehe!

She must adore it!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Love this block -- refreshing colors and beautiful, simple quilting. Lucky sister.

Thimbleanna said...

I love it Kate - that backing is perfect!

A Red Ham said...

The quilt looks great. I think I might have to try that block in that set out. I just love how it looks. Your sister is very lucky to receive such a beautiful and useful gift.

Karen said...

It is gorgeous Kate. The quilting looks perfect. I love what you did with the backing. i don't know how you stand the heat. We are having a lot of rain here in Sydney and it is so muggy.