Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Quilt for Jane - Tutorial #2

I had planned to just sew these blocks together in rows, but as I had pressed all the seams to one side in the half square triangles I knew where they join there would be a lot of fabric and very hard to get the seams to meet perfectly. So inspired by these lovely quilts I decided to add strips between the blocks.
Each strip was 3 1/2" by 9 1/2" and I needed 58.
I made




  • 5 rows with 7 blocks in each and 6 white strips alternating with





  • 4 rows with 6 blocks plus 2 end blocks and 7 white strips.
I spread the whole thing out on the floor and made sure the colours and fabrics were evenly spread. (There can be a lot of work in making sure something looks randomly placed).
I then sewed the rows together and pressed all the seams towards the white strips. Then I sewed the rows together.



Finished size - 81" x 81". I am still not sure how I will quilt this, I am thinking maybe straight lines or freemotion circles. I am not sure when I will get the time to baste it (this requires a lot of furniture moving for a quilt this big in my house) and get it quilted, but I guarantee you will have it by next winter Jane!

2 comments:

Tonni said...

Love the quilt top! You are so generous to give your quilts for gifts :)

Janine said...

thanks for the great tutorial. am inspired to start ANOTHER quilt!
how many wip is too many???