Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Fisherman's Pants

I remember finding some Onion sewing patterns in a store in Denmark when we were travelling in 2004 was quite excited to see sewing patterns that were a bit different as my total pattern experience were the 4 or 5 big traditional pattern companies. I somehow stashed a few in my backpack and they have sat around in various piles and cupboards for the last 5 years waiting to be used.
I love the idea of new patterns and planning what I will make, but then always go back to the tried and tested patterns and rarely try new ones. I really hate doing all theat planning, choosing fabric, cutting and sewing and then it doesn't fit or doesn't suit me. So yesterday I pulled out Onion pattern 0001 and sewed. I wish I had made them years ago. Easy and they fit. Fisherman's pants I will leave the house in. Not too much fabric to make you look humungous and very comfortable. The only drawback was the instructions are in Danish and there are no pictures, but if you have some experience you know what goes where.

I have tried to find references to this pattern online and I can't find any. It doesn't appear to exist anymore. There is the skirt version still available here. Look under women's specialty patterns.
Apparently pink skirts are the most perfect thing ever to wear especially with stripey stockings or leggings. Lucky they are easy to whip up. These have some Aunty Cookie fabric appliqued on to make them even more perfect.

9 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

I'm not a fan of sewing clothes and I'd tear my hair out if they were writting in a foreign language. Good for you! Obviously you had mad sewing skills. CUTE pink skirts. I love how you put a touch of personality in what you make.

katef - www.picklebums.com said...

Oh they look ace.. have always wanted to try fishermans pants but always thought I'd look silly in them. Maybe you should pop some in your shop???

Bianca Jae Makes Stuff said...

Great pants and skirts Kate! Pretty amazed that with Sydney just around the corner you have time to sew for yourself and the girls, well done! xox

Heidi said...

Those pants look so comfy! Very nice. I love the pink skirts too..very girly!

Thimbleanna said...

I've never heard of onion pants. ;-( Loooove those adorable little pink skirts!

Amanda said...

That's so cool that you were able to figure out a foreign pattern! I can't wait to get to my sewing room again, perhaps when the weather gets cooler and we aren't running around so much.

Sue said...

Those pants look super comfy. I dont think I could read the patterns properly without the english transition either, explains why I havent used my japanese ones yet. Love those little skirts, very cute!!

erez said...

great collection of fisherman's pants
cotton silk,linen ,hemp and organic
one size fits all
www.fishrmenpants.com
enjoy

HeavenLee Creations said...

HI Kate, I have been looking to make some Fisherman's pants! I'll check them out!
Thanks Lee